LInks to Individual Class Blog Sites

Monday, October 6, 2008

3rd period. October 6.

Agenda:

1.Vocabulary Quiz. Take 5 minutes to study “Osiris and Isis” words and “Theseus” root words
2.Comma uses and errors
3.Test & Vocabulary Review
4.Extra credit & Due Dates

5 Common Uses for Commas
#1: before a coordinating conjunction linking independent clauses.
  • Do you know what an independent clause is?
  • An independent clause is one that can stand alone.
    ¨For example: The boy ran fast.
  • A dependent clause DEPENDS on an independent clause for it to make sense.
    ¨For example: The clause “Because I woke up late” doesn’t make sense on its own. It relies on an independent clause. “Because I woke up late, I was late for work” makes sense.
  • Coordinating conjunctions join independent clauses. They include:
  • For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So (FANBOYS)
  • Example sentences using each conjunction.
  • F: You can’t reason with him, for he is hard headed.
  • A: My father helps me with my homework, and he also listens when I need someone to talk to.
  • N: That is not what I meant to say, nor should you interpret my statement as an admission of guilt.
  • B: She wanted to get into UVA, but her grade point average wasn’t high enough.
  • O: You will do your work, or you will fail this class.
  • Y: John is an awesome basketball player, yet his favorite sport is baseball.
  • S: I wanted to buy a new car, so I saved money.

Extra Credit and Due Dates:

Wordle: due October 10
Everything assigned in the lab except the last (internet research) should be completed by October 8.
The Internet Research should be finished Tuesday, October 14
You are responsible for completing this on your own time. We will not be returning to the computer lab!

See individual entry for Test Review.


No comments: