LInks to Individual Class Blog Sites

Friday, October 3, 2008

2nd period. October 3, 2008 (no 6th today)

Agenda:
No Journal
Identify RENNS Supporting Details
Provide RENNS for topic sentences
Comma uses and errors
Extra credit
Due dates


Handout: “Identifying and Providing Supporting Details”
  • Identify RENNS in paragraph
  • Provide RENNS for 2 assigned topic sentences.
  • Due end of class.
5 Common Uses for Commas.
1st use: before a coordinating conjunction linking independent clauses.
What is an independent clause?
  • An independent clause is one that can stand alone.
    ¨For example: The boy ran fast.
  • A dependent clause DEPENDS on an independent clause for it to make sense.
    ¨For example: The clause “Because I woke up late” doesn’t make sense on its own. It relies on an independent clause. “Because I woke up late, I was late for work” makes sense.

Coordinating conjunctions used when linking independent clauses:

FANBOYS:

For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So. Examples for each:

  • F: You can’t reason with him, for he is hard headed.
  • A: My father helps me with my homework, and he also listens when I need someone to talk to.
  • N: That is not what I meant to say, nor should you interpret my statement as an admission of guilt.
  • B: She wanted to get into UVA, but her grade point average wasn’t high enough.
  • O: You will do your work, or you will fail this class.
  • Y: John is an awesome basketball player, yet his favorite sport is baseball.
  • S: I wanted to buy a new car, so I saved money.

Hero paragraphs were returned and corrected for comma use #1. Put your hero paragraph in the "writing" section of your binder. Put the comma use handout in the "grammar/mechanics" section of your binder.

Extra credit and due dates:

  • Wordle: due October 9
  • Everything assigned in the lab except the last (internet research) should be completed by October 9
  • The Internet Research should be finished Wednesday, October 15.



No comments: